Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Live Your Impossible

I just returned from the Kennedy Recruiting Conference in Orlando.  You know, I have to say that I finally feel that recruiting technology is catching up.  It's becoming simpler yet more powerful--the way technology should be.  A refrigerator runs--it keeps your food cold and you really don't need to know how it works.  I'm glad to see that there are people building technology out there for recruiting with the same premise.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a geek in many ways.  But when I'm working I don't want to have to read a 700 page manual to do a simple task.  That said I don't think we should skimp on design either.  I want my technology to be impressive (beautiful), simple and powerful.  If it has those three elements I will buy it.  

My latest gadget, the Flip camera.  It meets these requirements.  A small rectangular device, video camera.  You unpack it and all the software is built in.  you click a button and record video.  You plug the USB port into your computer, the software loads and your video downloads.  The picture quality is strong, it records one hour worth of video, no tapes or disks, the design is beautiful and it fits in your pocket.  That is worth every penny that I paid.

I also just brought on a new technology called Vipe that allows me to easily upload and send video.  There is a lot of very cool new tools out there.  The challenge for corporate recruiting functions is that there is also a lot of vendors holding onto old paradigms and antiquated technology and they are selling harder than ever.  Organizations can easily get distracted by the long standing relationships and addictions to worthless tools.  If you are one of those people you should really look at your return on investment and put a stake in the ground.  If you don't you fuel dinosaurs.  Wouldn't your rather reward the companies making things better for us and fund innovation?  Just a thought.  

Until Next Time....oh, wait...if you get a chance check out our new networking site on Ning: http://liveyourimpossible.ning.com/

No comments: